Student Advisory Council Mission Statement
The HPSA Student Advisory Council (SAC) provides a student voice to the HPSA board and management and ensures that HPSA activities and programs offer the best possible support to all students.
Current undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate students can join the HPSA SAC for a one year term and reapply annually until they have completed their education.
Student Advisory Council Standard Operating Procedures
- Student Advisory Council Membership and Organization
- Council is made up of between 8 and 12 current undergraduate, post baccalaureate and graduate students representing at least three of the nine health care professions targeted by HPSA. No more than four (4) students may come from any one profession (i.e., pre-medical/medical, pre-dental/dental, etc.).
- Students must be considering or currently pursuing a doctoral level healthcare degree in the United States.
- Students apply annually by submitting a letter of interest and resume.
- Applications will be accepted from February 1 through March 31.
- All applicants will be notified of the decision on their application by April 30.
- Selected members will be subject to identity verification.
- The SAC will elect a president and secretary at their first meeting.
- The president will preside over meetings.
- The secretary will capture meeting minutes and distribute to the SAC.
- Upon request, SAC members may receive certification of their volunteer hours.
- SAC meets remotely on a monthly basis.
- SAC members may schedule and conduct other meetings as deemed necessary.
- SAC members will receive monthly updates from HPSA management on HPSA finances and projects.
- SAC will annually review the current and planned list of HPSA programs and projects and provide feedback and recommendations on prioritization.
- SAC members will actively seek feedback from the pre-health and health professional community on what resources are needed and submit these recommendations to HPSA management and board.
- SAC members may be asked to represent HPSA at events and to draft thank you notes to HPSA donors and sponsors.
- SAC may engage in other activities as it sees fit, subject to approval by the HPSA board.
General Timeline of Activities and Deliverables
|July||1. Conduct initial meeting and elect president and secretary|
2. Provide biography and photo for inclusion on HPSA website
3. Review after action report (AAR) from prior year SAC
4. Review current project list
|1. Election of president and secretary|
2. Bios and photos of SAC
3. Determine any procedural changes based on AAR
4. Recommendations/ feedback on project list
|August||1. Review current project list||1. Recommendations/ feedback on project list|
|September||1. Review current project list||1. Recommendations/ feedback on project list|
|October||1. Review current project list||1. Recommendations/ feedback on project list|
|November||1. Review HPSA plan for following year and provide recommendations||1. Recommendations/ feedback on HPSA plan|
|December||1. Review current project list||1. Recommendations/ feedback on project list|
|January||1. Review current project list||1. Recommendations/ feedback on project list|
|February||1. Review current project list||1. Recommendations/ feedback on project list|
|March||1. Recruit potential SAC members for next year|
2. Review current project list
|1. Recommendations/ feedback on project list|
|April||1. Review SAC applications|
2. Review current project list
|1. Selection of SAC for next year|
2. Recommendations/ feedback on project list
|May||1. Recommend potential new HPSA board members|
2. Inform new SAC members of selection and complete verification and NDA
3. Review current project list
|1. Recommendations for HPSA board members|
2. Completed verifications and NDAs for new SAC members
3. Recommendations/ feedback on project list
|June||1. Draft an after action report on the years activities and recommendations for the next SAC||1. After Action Report|